Saturday, April 21, 2012

Gomer's Release

Ever since I got back from my work trip Gomer has been bouncing off the walls of his mews. I don't know if it was spring hormones or pent up energy from two weeks in the mews but he started beating up his feet pretty badly. I tried flying him more often (as often as my schedule allows), feeding him twice a day, and everything else I could think of, but nothing helped. Rather than risk a case of bumblefoot or worse, I made the decision to release him this morning. I gave him a huge crop and sent him on his way. Here he is just before he left:



And he fittingly went right back to the position I found him in 3 months ago, on top of a telephone pole:


A kestrel welcomed him back to life in the wild and he quickly left the telephone pole to the refuge of a tree with more dense foliage. He's next to a huge field and what I think is a large stable with plenty of pigeons. 


He'll be fine. And while I'm already missing having a bird I know this was the best thing for him. I'll have the summer to focus on other things and there's a few promising things keyed up for the fall so there's plenty to look forward to. I may post a few things here and there but it may be quiet for awhile. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment